You are here: Home FAQ


TIE-INS Frequently Asked Questions
  1. If I am already in the TIE-INS program, do I need to reapply this year?

    LAUSD does not require you to reapply for your permit (Inter or intra district permit) as long as your child is making good progress in school (good attendance, grades and behavior).  If your child’s home school is outside of LAUSD, your home school district may require you to apply on an annual basis.  Not all districts require an annual renewal but some do so please check with your district. If you are not sure if your home residence falls within the boundaries of LAUSD you can go to LAUSD's Find My Neighborhood School site.

  2. May I apply now to TIE-INS for my child who is not yet 5 years old?
    How old does my child have to be before I can apply to kindergarten for next year?

    In order to enroll in kindergarten for the 2018-19 school year, the child must turn 5 on or before September 1, 2018. (see

  3. What is Transitional Kindergarten and Extended Transitional Kindergarten and how would my child qualify?

    Transitional Kindergarten is for children who will turn 5 years old between September 2 - December 2 of the 2018-19 school year.  Kindergarten is for children who will turn 5 years old on or before September 1, 2018.   Extended Transitional Kindergarten is for children who turn 5 years old after December 2, 2018..  Families must be low income to quality for Extended Transitional Kindergarten.
  4. Is there a TIE-INS pre-school program?

    At the current time, TIE-INS is a K-12 opportunity and does not include pre-school. Due to budget cuts in LAUSD, nearby Early Education Centers affiliated with the district have been closed.

  5. If I am the grandparent of a child, may I as a UCLA employee apply for TIE-INS enrollment for that child?

    A grandparent can apply for the TIE-INS program, but must have legal guardianship of the child they plan to enroll at any of the TIE-INS. Documentation of guardianship rights will need to be provided at the time of enrollment at the school.

  6. Do I have to apply for an inter-district permit every year if I am not a resident within LAUSD?
    Your LAUSD inter-district permit once approved will not require renewal so long as your child continues to make good academic progress (attendance, grades, and behavior).  Your home district may require you to reapply (e.g yearly, when transitioning children from ES to MS or MS to HS, or receiving special education services).  Please check with your home district to see what is required.

  7. What are the summer options for TIE-INS students?

    We are in the process of putting together the summer options for parents. Please check back in April for a list of the options.


Apply for the
2018-19 school year

Click here for the
TIE-INS application form.


If you have questions, please contact:

Main Office
(310) 825-8165

Sarah Bang
TIE-INS Blue Director
(310) 804-7372

June Chou Kim
TIE-INS Gold Director
(213) 271-4425